Re: why does FindMinimum have the attribute HoldAll?

Actually, with FindMinimum it's a little more complicated than what I
said because I think it has some kind of heuristic to realize when the
first argument isn't a numeric function in held form - then
FindMinimum evaluates the argument to make the optimization work. I
guess that is for compatibility with old code. However, the heuristic
doesn't work if there is an option present.

For example:

In[1]:=
fun=x^2+y^2;

In[2]:=
opt=Method->"Gradient";

In[3]:=
guesses={{x,1},{y,2}};

In[4]:=
FindMinimum[fun,guesses]

Out[4]=
{0.,{x\[Rule]0.,y\[Rule]0.}}

In[5]:=
FindMinimum[fun,guesses,opt]

From In[5]:=
FindMinimum::"fdssnv" : Search specification guesses without variables
should be a list with a 1-4 elements.

Out[5]=
FindMinimum[fun,guesses,opt]

Maybe I should just have started with Plot, but I hope I got the
original question across.

--
http://chris.chiasson.name/