RE: Re: Copying cell contents?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg69970] RE: [mg69918] Re: Copying cell contents?
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 06:16:29 -0400 (EDT)

For the warning message example you gave, why don't you just select and copy
the part of the message that doesn't have the 'More' button. It's the 'More'
button that is producing all of the box structure. Do you really need the
'More' button in the posting or other document you might paste into?

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: AES [mailto:siegman at stanford.edu]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

In article <efarij$7ul$1 at smc.vnet.net>,
 "Ingolf Dahl" <ingolf.dahl at telia.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I have tried to reproduce your error message, but not succeded completely.
> The closest I get I obtain by executing the following command:
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
 snip - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Thanks for detailed discussion, but my question still is:  Among all the
several Copy and Copy As buttons available in the Mathematica Front
End's standard menu interface, is there really *no* way I can

a)  Select the displayed contents of a standard Input (or other) cell
containing purely ASCII content (no Greek or special symbols) -- doing
the selection either by dragging over the contents of the cell, or by
clicking the cell bracket, whichever is needed, but with no other
special preparation of the cell itself -- and then

b)  Use one of these menu Copy commands in order to copy these text
contents and paste them in a word processor, text editor, or newsgroup
window, and

c)  Have this text content show up in the text editor or newsgroup
window the same as it looks in the Mathematica notebook display?

Again, I just what to copy *what I originally typed into the cell*, and
also *what is displayed in the cell*, and paste it into the window of an
external app,

   -- without having to type it all over again
   -- without having to add arcane commands or make arcane
      transformations on the cell before copying it
   -- without having to do some arcane transformation of
      the material after copying it.

[This is serious!  If I can't do this, I may have to stop pestering this
newsgroup with endless questions about all the weird or unexpected
things I encounter in using Mathematica!]