[RESEND] How to tell Mathematica to use hardware floating point aithmetics

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg69991] [RESEND] How to tell Mathematica to use hardware floating point aithmetics
  • From: "Nasser Abbasi" <nma at 12000.org>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 06:48:31 -0400 (EDT)

Hello.

Suppose I want to just use hardware floating point operations.

Suppose my hardware uses IEEE754 standard for binary floating point
arithmetics, and I want all my numerical computation inside mathematica to
adhere to this only and not to any other in-between software based floating
point arithmetics (such as significant arithmetics).

Is it enough to wrap each result with N[x,16] ? Or is there a flag/option
somewhere that one can set once?

thanks,
Nasser