RE: Re: Re: distance function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg70014] RE: [mg68805] Re: [mg68772] Re: distance function
  • From: "Coleman, Mark" <Mark.Coleman at LibertyMutual.com>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Sep 2006 05:12:45 -0400 (EDT)

Out of curiosity, I tested these two approaches on a number of data sets
for which I make frequent use. For some reason Jens code is running
slower! I've been testing it out some lists of reals of size
n=500,1000,2500, and 5000. Is it possible that the time for the
conditional compares is exceeding the computational time of redundant
calculations? Could someone try this out?

(note: I'm working on some code for identifying outliers in large data
sets. The efficient calculation of L-1 and L-2 distance matrices are
important.)

Thanks

Mark