Re: Timing in Mathematica

amitsoni.1984 at gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using Timing[.......] to calculate the time taken by an
> expression in Mathematica. But it is not showing values below 0.01
> seconds. For values below 0.01s it just shows 0. Second
>
> Is it possible to get the value of time lower than 0.01s by somehow
> lowering the least count. I am using Mathematica 5.2 on Windows. I was
> getting lower values of time on Mathematica(5.2) on a Linux computer.
>
> Thank you,
> Amit

It never makes sense to time a computer task that takes such a short
time because there are all sorts of one-off delays - such as paging
information into memory - that can distort the result. If you want to
time f[] (say) I would time:

and maybe place a loop round this as well to ensure you obtain a total
time of at least 10 seconds, dividing the result by the total number of
calls to f[].

Bear in mind that the CompoundExpression (;) will take some time, and
that Mathematica can cache results in some situations.

David Bailey
http://www.dbaileyconsultancy.co.uk