Re: Timing in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg74761] Re: Timing in Mathematica
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2007 04:04:24 -0400 (EDT)

On 4/3/07 at 12:26 AM, szhorvat at gmail.com (Szabolcs) wrote:

>After doing some experimentation, I found that on my system
>AbsoluteTiming returns integer multiples of 0.015625 seconds. Timing
>returns the same values, but rounded to $TimeValue of 0.001.
>(Mathematica 5.2 on WinXP SP2)

Per the documentation for Timing and AbsoluteTiming, the result
returned is only accurate to the granularity of $TimeUnit. On my
system evaluating $TimeUnit returns 1/100.

Many functions will take less than 1/100 of a second to execute.
The only way to get reasonably accurate estimates of the time
required for these functions is to execute them a large number
of times in a loop and divide the total time by the number of
times the loop ran.