Re: Depurating tool

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg74777] Re: Depurating tool
  • From: "Michael Weyrauch" <michael.weyrauch at gmx.de>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 04:05:38 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

   well, it depends. Print statements are very useful at times.

But recently I had the following problem when running my own Mathematica package (about 20
printed pages) with parameters not yet well tested.  Mathematica announced with a message that
I had called First[  ] with an empty list somewhere. Unfortunately, there are about 100 First statements in my package
scattered around in the code.

Of course, I could change the internal command First[ ] in such a way that it always  prints the list I give as a parameter
and could then sift through the probably lengthy output to find an empty list. No question that would work.

But I find it much more convenient to set a message breakpoint on First in Wolfram Workbench, and then
by debugging session exactly shows me the location in my code where I called First[] with an empty list.

I like the old fashioned and simple solutions, but at times the more modern methods are to be preferred.

Regards   Michael Weyrauch