Re: ftp from mathematica code

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg74813] Re: ftp from mathematica code
  • From: "Hans Michel" <hmichel at cox.net>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2007 04:21:14 -0400 (EDT)

I Kantian:

What David Bailey refers to is an easily found Mathematica function called
GetURL (Don't recall if it is built in or not).

I don't recall at which Mathematica version the Import command could fetch
straight to a URI that is none local but in version 5.2 and possibly 5.1
Import["ftp..."] will do.

So for example
Import["ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/developr/readme.txt";]
Will place the content of this readme file to the next output.

You can look up all the Import Options and how to assign the stream etc.

This is documented in "1.11.7 Exchanging Material with the Web" of the Help
Document.

Additionally the website that David sent you to refers to how to configure
your URI for a particular service type. It could be that the ftp site you
require needs a user name and password if so follow the instructs at the
site David supplied.

Also look up ImportString[], GetURL, and search this user group as this
question has been asked. I just don't recall when.

For example again using the Microsoft ftp site

g = Import[
"ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/deskapps/games/public/Screenshots/Asherons_Call/snap0111.jpg";,
"JPEG"]

Show[g]
 Should show  a jpeg image.

GetURL has an older functionality meaning that in some version of
Mathematica Import["ftp...."] will not work where as GetURL has been around
since J/Link I think.
See here http://library.wolfram.com/examples/GetURL/

Even without these function on Unix, Linux, DOS, ... if a command line ftp
client was availble you could redirect output of the shell command to
Mathematica.

Hans