Memory issue in SVD

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg74995] Memory issue in SVD
  • From: Tulga Ersal <tersal at umich.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 02:14:44 -0400 (EDT)

Dear group,

I apologize in advance to bother you with a topic that came up many
times in the past, but nothing I found in the archives really helped.

I am trying to find the singular value decomposition (SVD) of a big
matrix, but Mathematica gives the following message:

"No more memory available.
Mathematica kernel has shut down.
Try quitting other applications and then retry."

As an example, create a 5000x5000 matrix with random entries and try
to find its SVD:

M=Table[Random[],{5000},{5000}];
{U,S,V}=SingularValueDecomposition[M];

My computer cannot perform the SVD and gives the message above almost
immediately. Originally I thought the matrix was too big and my
computer didn't really have the necessary resources, but I can
compute the SVD using another program, so I know it is not really an
hardware issue. I'm using Mathematica 5.2 on a PC running Windows XP,
with 2GB RAM, 160GB hard disk, two 3.4 GHz processors.

Is there a setting in Mathematica that needs tweaking to avoid the
memory problem? I have tried setting $HistoryLength=0, or using
Share, and neither helped. I'd appreciate any recommendations.

Thank you,
Tulga