Re: Variable containing code

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg74977] Re: [mg74937] Variable containing code
  • From: Carl Woll <carlw at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 02:05:27 -0400 (EDT)

Daniel Huber wrote:

> Hello carl,
> thank's a lot, this was really helpfull.
> However, may I point out a mistake: the normal behaviour of a function
> is to strip "Unevaluated" inside the function body.  You may convince
> yourself by e.g.:
> foo[x_]:=Print["x=",Hold[x]];
> foo[Unevaluated[Print["Hello"]]]
> Therefore, why does SetDelayed not strip "Unevaluated"?

Your paraphrase of how Unevaluated is treated is confusing you, and you
should look up evaluation order again. In your example below, you have

Set[ t2, Extract[OwnValues[t1], {1,2}, Unevaluated] ]

So, here is what Mathematica does. It looks at Set and notices that Set
is HoldFirst. So, Mathematica evaluates the second argument, but not the
first, arriving at

Set[ t2, Unevaluated[Print["Hello"]] ]

Now, at this point, Mathematica is done evaluating the arguments of Set,
and so it looks at the DownValues for Set, and sets t2 to
Unevaluated[Print["Hello"]], as you can check for yourself.

In your example, we have:

foo[ Unevaluated[Print["Hello"]] ]

Here Mathematica finds that foo has no Hold attributes, so it goes ahead
and evaluates the arguments. Evaluating an Unevaluated[Print["Hello"]]
argument yields Print["Hello"]. So, after Mathematica finishes
evaluating the foo arguments, it ends up with

foo[ Print["Hello"] ]

and now it is time to look for foo DownValues. I hope this clarifies why
there is an Unevaluated in the first example, but not the second.

Carl Woll
Wolfram Research