2D cellular automata (non-totalistic)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg75009] 2D cellular automata (non-totalistic)
  • From: "alexxx.magni at gmail.com" <alexxx.magni at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 01:04:50 -0400 (EDT)

Greetings,
I want to re-implement a 2D CA I already wrote time ago in C++.
Its scope was to read a BW image, then evolve it according to some
rules. Specifically, by the rules I wrote I am able to "etch" the
input image obtaining a skeleton or graph of the input image...
These rules, if I understand correctly the term, are non-totalistic,
i.e. they don't depend just on the total number of B/W cells in the
neighborhood.

Example from my input file:
RuleSEinput
0 0 0
0 1 1
0 1 1
RuleSEoutput
0 0 0
0 0 1
0 1 1
RuleTreeLeftinput
1 1 0
1 1 0
1 1 0
RuleTreeLeftoutput
1 1 0
1 0 0
1 1 0

my program scans the image with the *input pattern, substituting the
*output pattern if a match occurs (scanning with or without overlap,
i.e. with a step=1 or step=3 along x and y in the case of 3x3 rules) .

Is this a nontotalistic 2dCA?

Now, do you have some hint on how to implement it in Mathematica - or
has something similar already been done?

thanks for any help...

Alessandro Magni