Memory issue in Mathematica 5.1 (Windows XP)

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg75019] Memory issue in Mathematica 5.1 (Windows XP)
  • From: "nbm" <neeleshbmehta at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 01:10:02 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

A memory leak problem.

I am running the following code on Mathematica 5.1 on a Windows XP
machine.

I find that the memory in use increases everytime the following
function is run. I don't understand why. Can anyone kindly explain?

This function is part of a larger program. I am basically running into
a memory used up problem after I run several iterations in the large
program. I suspect the above memory leak to be the cause of the
problem. Hence, this request.

Sorry for the uncommented code. (Expon is an array that is fed to
PdfSum.)

PdfSumExp[Expon_,x_]:=
Module[ {f,N,i,L,temp,temp1,j,k,Exponents},
	(* Print["PdfSumExp"]; *)
	(* Print[MemoryInUse[]]; *)

	Exponents = Sort[Expon];
	N = Length[Exponents];
	L = Range[N];
	For[i=1, i<N, i++, (
		If[Exponents[[i]]==Exponents[[i+1]], Print["equal exponents"]];
	)];
	temp = 1;
	For[i=1, i<=N, i++, (
		L[[i]] = 1/Exponents[[i]];