Re: Mathematica help

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg75046] Re: Mathematica help
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 05:10:38 -0400 (EDT)

Antal Miklós wrote:
> I would like to derive a complex function (containing complex integrals in
> trigonometrical functions) with respect to certain variables, and stipulate
> that those variables are real. Is such a stipulation possible?
> (Now I always get Im' ... and Re'... expressions, because Mathematica
> considers the variables complex.)
> Thank you very much.
> Sincerely yours,
> Mikl=F3s Antal

It would have been better if you had posted an example of the functions
and the Mathematica command you are using.

You could start by checking Assuming [1, 2], Assumptions [3], Elements
[4], and also the FAQ "How do I declare variables to have certain
properties such as Real, Integer, or Positive?" [5].

[2] _The Mathematica Book_, "3.3.11 Using Assumptions",