Continued Fractions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg75070] Continued Fractions
  • From: "Wu Weidong" <ghcgwgwg at singnet.com.sg>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 04:13:11 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,
I'm working on a function which takes 2 integer values as input, a and b an=
d outputs a list of integers corresponding to the continued fraction repres=
entation of the rational number a/b.

My function is as follows:

build[a_Integer,b_Integer, l_List] :== Module[{r==1,q,temp},
 While[r!==0,
  If[a>==b,
   q==Quotient[a,b];
   l==Append[l,q];
   r == a-b*q;
   a == r,

   temp == a;
   a == b;
   b == temp;
  ];
 ];
];

Essentially, if the fraction given is less than 1, the first number in the =
list is 0. The function then proceeds to find the quotient of the numerator=
 and denominator (and add that to the list) and the remainder. If the remai=
nder is less than one, it takes the reciprocal and splits it into a whole-n=
umber part plus another fraction which will be less than 1 and repeat. It s=
tops when the remainder is 0.

When I tried to run the program, I get the following error messages:

Set::shape: Lists {} and {2} are not the same shape.

Set::setraw: Cannot assign to raw object 45.

Set::shape: Lists {} and {2} are not the same shape.

Set::setraw: Cannot assign to raw object 45.

Set::shape: Lists {} and {2} are not the same shape.

General::stop: Further output of Set::shape
     will be suppressed during this calculation.

Set::setraw: Cannot assign to raw object 45.

General::stop: Further output of Set::setraw
     will be suppressed during this calculation.

However, if I just run the While part of the function with a==45, b==16, l=
=={}, r==1 (so I can enter the while loop), I can find the right result (2,=
1,4,3), so I believe my algorithm should be correct. The errors only appear=
 when I put the while loop under the Module structure.

What is wrong with my program?

Thank you.

Regards,
Rayne