Re: Differentiation and evaluation of function

Thank you, all, for getting back to me.

*Set* sounds like a good solution to my problem (for some reason I thought defining functions with *Set* rather than *SetDelayed* was bad programming -I hope it is not so). The Prime notation (f'[x]) is also convenient and compact, but won't help if I'm dealing with many-variable functions, so I'll stick with f[x1_, x2_, ...]=blah.

Regards,
Apostolos