Am I overlooking something?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg75089] Am I overlooking something?
  • From: jackgold at umich.edu
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 20:17:06 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Folks,

I use DiscreteDelta in my work.  It is not, I assume, an oft used
function but it does serve my purposes.  Now Attributes[DiscreteDelta]
are "Orderless" and "Protected" but NOT "NumericFunction".  This
puzzles me.  In seems to me that DiscreteDelta satisfies the first
criterion in the following list.  The second item suggests that some
functions which would ordinarily have the attribute NumericFunction
have not been given this attribute intentionally!  The third item warns
me about setting this attribute for DiscreteDelta - maybe.
Incidentally, KroneckerDelta also does not have the NumericFunction
attribute.

My question is, of course, why not? An oversight by Mathematica?

Here, for your convenience I copy the relevant items from the help menue.

◼ NumericFunction is an attribute that can be assigned to a
symbol f to indicate that f[a, a, =85 ] should be considered a numeric
quantity whenever all the a are numeric quantities.

◼ Most standard built‐in mathematical functions have the
attribute NumericFunction.

◼ If you assign the attribute NumericFunction to a function that
does not yield numerical values, then NumericQ will give misleading
results.