Re: Complex bessel function

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg75210] Re: Complex bessel function
  • From: jesse.woodroffe at gmail.com
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 00:44:08 -0400 (EDT)

Zach,

>From my understanding of Bessel functions, you're not ikely to find
any simple identity to separate the real and imaginary parts. They're
certainly not distributive, nor do they have any real tendency towards
simplicity (elegance, yes; simplicity, no.). Being that there are no
obviously useful relations in Abramowitz and Stegun[1], I'm fairly
certain that learning to love complex arguments mightn't be such a bad
idea.

I will mention in passing, however, that that there is a fairly well
known identity for BesselJ that is an addition theorem of sorts [2]:

BesselJ[n,u+v]=Sum[BesselJ[n -/+ k,u]*BesselJ[k,v],{k,-
Infinity,Infinity}]

This formula is expanded to include BesselY and Hankel functions in
A&S[3].

However, I believe that you'll find that this formula also works for
BesselI with the caveat that v is signed, i.e.

BesselI[n,u+I*v]=Sum[BesselI[n-k,u]*BesselI[k,I*v],{k,-
Infinity,Infinity}]
BesselI[n,u-I*v]=Sum[BesselI[n-k,u]*BesselI[k,-I*v],{k,-
Infinity,Infinity}]

In practice, these summations require far fewer than an infinite
number of terms in order to converge, but in any event they're not
going to separate out your real and complex parts.

Best of luck.

Jesse Woodroffe