Re: Importing and retaining graphics

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg75196] Re: [mg75169] Importing and retaining graphics
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 00:36:58 -0400 (EDT)

1) Just go ahead and delete the other cells (being sure to click on only
the individual cell brackets of what you want to delete, and not the
larger cell bracket that encompasses both the Show cell and the
resulting displayed graphic.

2) Create a new cell, say a text cell and type something in that cell,
say a space.

3) Select the displayed graphic by clicking on it;  you should see a
bounding box around it.

4) Now use the Edit menu or the usual keystrokes to copy the selected
graphic and to paste it into the text cell.

   Now you may want to backspace over the initial space you typed into
the cell.

   You probably now want to delete the "From In[n]" cell from which you
copied the displayed graphic.

5) Put whatever else you wish to go with the graphic into the cell --
text, other graphics, formulas, whatever. Format the cell as you wish
(change its alignment, e.g., if you wish).

6) If you wish to prevent accidental erasure of the new cell you've
created, select the cell.  From the Cell menu, select Cell Properties
and click "Cell Editable" so as to remove the checkmark there.

    For even more security, BEFORE you make the cell not editable, make
it undeletable as follows:

     - From the Format menu select Option Inspector.

     - In the Options Inspector window, make sure the entry next to
"Show option values for" is "selection.

     - next to the Lookup button type "deletable" and click the Lookup
button.  You'll see the collapsed outline in the lower window open with
the property Deletable highlighted.

     - on the same line as  "Deletable..........True", click the
checkmark at the extreme right.  You will see "True" change to "False".

     - click the Apply button and close the Options Inspector.

     - your cell will now be set so you cannot delete it.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305