Importing and retaining graphics

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg75169] Importing and retaining graphics
  • From: AES <siegman at stanford.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 04:32:02 -0400 (EDT)

OK, I've learned that

   Import["/Users/AES/Desktop/myImage.jpg"]

will import an image from my Mac desktop into a notebook, and then

   Show[%, ImageSize->3*72]

will display it.  But:

1)  How do I then "freeze" or retain that graphic or that image, in a
displayed or rendered form, as a permanently retained and displayed
image cell in this notebook, with the two lines above deleted?

2) Is there an easier way, on a Mac, to Drag and Drop, or Copy and
Paste, a JPEG image like this (or a PDF page), from the Finder or some
Mac app into a notebook, as a permanently retained cell in that
notebook?  (Permanently retained until explicitly deleted, that is.)

3)  What Format => Style do I assign to "permanently retained image
cells" like this?

(I'd prefer that they not have the same style as graphics cells that are
generated anew each time the notebook is executed; I don't want them to
be selected when I Option-click on an generated image cell boundary, or
to be included in animations of generated cells.)

4)  Would Wolfram maybe want to add to the Help documentation for
Import[] a pointer to the use of $Path?

Took me a lot of searching around before I discovered how to format the
right path, and what paths Import[] actually searched.