Re: Outputting to file with fixed decimal digits

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg75285] Re: Outputting to file with fixed decimal digits
  • From: do.not at reply.nonet
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 03:19:33 -0400 (EDT)

Larry

I reckon you need to write a function that does the basic formatting
process for you into a string, here a simple example that rounds the
number "x" to the nearest "d" decimal places:

decfom[x_,d_]:=ToString[Floor[x*10^d+0.5]/10.^d]

Then write the result to a text file, with commas etc as you fancy
look at the help for the "Export" and "WriteString" functions as a
start.  I have used that sort of thing to write mesh definitions for
Finite Element input files, where repeatability is more important than
precision.

I have suggested using the "Floor" function - it's to avoid the
"Round" function which has the most bizarre definition in Mathematica
- it doesn't give the same answer every time.
(Look in "Further Examples" in the Help on "Round")
It's one reason that makes me think Mathematica is not really
"Engineering Grade" software and suspicious that there may be more
weird things that I just haven't come across yet.

Robert