remote kernel

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg75325] remote kernel
  • From: "Steven S. Gubser" <ssgubser at Princeton.EDU>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 05:36:41 -0400 (EDT)

Hi folks,

Is it possible to connect a front end running on my OS X laptop to a
remote kernel on a Unix host in a case where the laptop is at home,
where my network connection does not provide me with a static IP
address?  A diagnostic web site at my home institution reports that
my home computer's address is something like this:
pool-50-111-87-213.hag.east.verizon.net.  But it's not always the same.

I am able to connect when I bring my laptop to work and put it on a
static IP.  I accepted all the defaults in "Kernel Configuration"
except that I selected "Remote Machine" and specified the correct
hostname.  That means that "Arguments to MLOpen" is

   -LinkMode Listen -LinkProtocol TCPIP -LinkOptions MLDontInteract

and "Lauch Command" is

   `java` -jar "`mathssh`" ssgubser at feynman.princeton.edu math -
mathlink -LinkMode Connect -LinkProtocol TCPIP -LinkName "`linkname`"
-LinkHost `ipaddress`

I have the impression that VPN may solve my problem.  Has anyone
successfully done what I'm trying to do through VPN?

I also have the impression that setting up an ssh tunnel might work.
I have an appropriate gateway computer...  Has anyone made this kind
of setup work?

Thanks,
Steve