kernel shut down without error messages

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg75329] kernel shut down without error messages
  • From: caseytomlin at gmail.com
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 05:38:49 -0400 (EDT)

Running Mathematica 5.2 on Windows XP with 3 gigabytes of memory and a
Pentium D 3.4 gigahertz processor.  When NDSolve tries to generate an
InterpolatingFunction object that ends up being larger than ~500
megabytes, the kernel eventually shuts down but DOESN'T give the usual
"No more memory available....." message.  However, sometimes this
doesn't happen and I'm able to generate InterpolatingFunction objects
which exceed 1 gigabyte in size, which I write to external .m files
using the command "Put".  If I later call such a file, using "Get",
the kernel immediately shuts down, again with no error message.

Additionally, the CPU (which is dual core), remains at 50% usage at
all times during a computation.  I read a post which seemed to solve
this issue by adding an environment variable OMP_NUM_THREADS with
value 2, but this didn't work for me.

Thoughts?