RE: How do you set up third party (or your own) packages?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg79670] RE: [mg79607] How do you set up third party (or your own) packages?
  • From: "David Annetts" <davidannetts at>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2007 05:09:43 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Daniel,

> I am asking this question in all humility on the theory that
> there is no stupid question in this forum. My apologies if
> this is not the case:
> How do I use third party packages, or my own for that matter?
> For a specific case, I have downloaded some files from
> and the set of version 6
> MathWorldPackages. I want to load PlaneGeometry.m which in
> turn has a dependency on KimberlingCoordinates.m. In my
> effort to successfully execute the line:
> << MathWorld`PlaneGeometry
> I have tried putting selected packages in
> ~/Libraries/Mathematica/Applications. I have tried modifying
> $Path using
> AppendTo[$Path, =E2=80=A8 ToFileName[{$HomeDirectory, "Documents",
> "MathematicaFiles", "MathWorld", =E2=80=A8   "MathWorldPackages"}]]
> Neither solution works. The only thing that has proven to
> work is using Get[] with the full path name to the file, but
> this isn't the standard approach. What doesn't seem to be
> working for me is adding the appropriate path to the list of
> search paths Mathematica uses, presumably $Path.

When I follow the instructions at, and extract the
packages to
ToFileName[{$TopDirectory, "AddOns", "ExtraPackages", "MathWorld"}], things
work fine.

Works fine if I don't follow instructions exactly and put it in
ToFileName[{$UserBaseDirectory, "AddOns", "ExtraPackages", "MathWorld"}]

As long as the files in the package reside in a directory called "MathWorld"
that lies off any of the directories in your $Path, you should be fine.
Near as I can tell from your question, you don't have this since
"~/Libraries/Mathematica/Applications" _may_ (I don't use a UNIX system) not
be in your path, and AppendTo[$Path, =E2=80=A8 ToFileName[{$HomeDirectory,
> "MathematicaFiles", "MathWorld", =E2=80=A8   "MathWorldPackages"}]] adds
the wrong directory.