Hysteresis in pde/ode

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg79831] Hysteresis in pde/ode
  • From: "jhelffrich at gmail.com" <jhelffrich at gmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2007 03:36:05 -0400 (EDT)

I am trying to solve a two-space-dimensional and one time-dimension
PDE for a displacement variable u(r,z) , something like c*d^2u/dt^2 =
d^2(ru)/dr^2 + d^2u/dz^2 + f(u,t) where f(u,t) is a hysteresis term
that accounts for the fact that if (du/dt) > its neighbor's values
del^2(du/dt) < 0 then f=+1 and if del^2(du/dt) > 0 then f=-1.  This is
a sort of binary link with its neighbors.  Are there any similar
problems out there from which I might get some guidance for solving
this numerically?  Other than this, the problem is simple in that the
boundary conditions are fixed values at finite distance.

Thanks