  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg79996] hardware for Mathematica 6.0
  • From: David Cardon <cardon at math.byu.edu>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 01:51:45 -0400 (EDT)

I'm about to purchase a new computer and good performance with Mathematica 6.0 is my main priority.  Can anyone prioritize which hardware components (dual-core, quad-core, graphics cards, etc) are likely to give the most "bang for the buck" when it comes to dynamic graphics, number crunching, symbolic computation, etc ?

I can spend up to about $4000.  I was planning on using Windows XP.