Re: Re: how to collapse a cell in v.6

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg80011] Re: [mg79871] Re: how to collapse a cell in v.6
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 06:39:57 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 01:35:00 -0400 (EDT), rob wrote:
> Jean-Marc Gulliet wrote:
>
>> Steven Shippee wrote:
>>
>>> In version 5 of Mathematica one could complete the keystrokes
>>>
>>> alt + c
>>>
>>> alt + r
>>>
>>> alt + c
>>>
>>> to collapse and/or expand cells.
>>>

>>> How does one accomplish this in version 6. please - and thank you in
>>> advance.
>>>

>> On my Windows system, the sequence of keystrokes 'Alt + c' opens the
>> /Cell/ menu and 'Alt + r' opens the /Format/ menu. Since hitting the
>> 'Alt' key plus a letter to access some menu options is the conventional
>> way to build GUI in Windows, either you are not using Windows (but still
>> have a keyboard with the 'Alt' key) or you have a heavily customized
>> version of Mathematica.
>>
>> At any rate, the default keystrokes to open or close a group of cells is
>> 'Alt + shift + {' and 'Alt + shift + }', respectively. They match the
>> menu entries Cell -> Grouping -> Open All Subgroups and Cell -> Grouping
>> -> Close All Subgroups.
>>
>> HTH,
>> Jean-Marc
>>

> Sir, I am using V5.1 and I have wondered a long time how one
> can group or ungroup cells. It would be handy at times to be
> able to collapse a group of cells. But how does one define a
> group of cells so they can be collapsed or uncollapsed? I've
> tried highlighting a bunch of cells and then used every
> cell/group menu item I can find but nothing ever happens.
>
> By the way my Windows system menu says Ctrl+' is the
> keyboard shortcut - nothing about Alt+Shift.
>

> I've looked all through the help system and have found
> nothing about this subject. Could you give me a few key
> words so I can search further on this? Thanks.

In versions previous to 6.0, you could only manually group cells by choosing the
Manual Grouping menu item first (thereby toggling Automatic Grouping off).
Otherwise, the automatic grouping features always override your attempts to
manually set groups.

However, in version 6, we changed the system so that automatic grouping can
co-exist with manually created groups.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com