Mathematica v5 versus v6

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg80031] Mathematica v5 versus v6
  • From: Jon <jkparry at hotmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2007 02:03:54 -0400 (EDT)

Hi

I have found that there are some simple problems which can be done quickly in v5 but the new v6 seemingly cannot.

For example I am presently doing some work which requires the calculation of the Rank of an 8 by 8 matrix. Using my notebook, 1Gb RAM and 1.73GHz with v5.1, I get the answer in a few seconds. When I installed v6 and ran the same nb file I never got an answer even after running for 1 hour.

Is there a bug in v6?

If others are also running v6 I would be interested in getting in touch to see if other users have the same experience. If you are running on a 64 bit machine I would really like to see if that solves the problem and can give  an answer with v6.

Any comments are very welcome!

Thanks

Jon