Re: Mathematica v5 versus v6

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg80094] Re: Mathematica v5 versus v6
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 07:20:41 -0400 (EDT)

On 8/11/07 at 2:03 AM, jkparry at hotmail.com (Jon) wrote:

>I have found that there are some simple problems which can be done
>quickly in v5 but the new v6 seemingly cannot.

>For example I am presently doing some work which requires the
>calculation of the Rank of an 8 by 8 matrix. Using my notebook, 1Gb
>RAM and 1.73GHz with v5.1, I get the answer in a few seconds. When I
>installed v6 and ran the same nb file I never got an answer even
>after running for 1 hour.

>Is there a bug in v6?

Almost certainly there are still some bugs in v6 that haven't
been found or corrected. But, my guess is that odds are none of
these are likely to be the source of your problem. Of course,
this last is a guess on my part based on my expectation problems
encountered moving from v5 to v6 are far more likely do to
changes in the way some things now work rather than bugs in v6.
And of course I am reduced to guessing since you provided
essentially no details as to what you are trying to do.

You will always get more appropriate responses when you post
code segments.

>If others are also running v6 I would be interested in getting in
>touch to see if other users have the same experience.

I've been using v6 since it first became available to me and
have not yet found any reason to go back to using v5.

>If you are running on a 64 bit machine I would really like to see if
>that solves the problem and can give  an answer with v6.

If it turns out the problem is memory constrained then going to
a 64 bit machine with more memory could well make a difference.
As it is, I run Mathematica on a 32 bit machine.