Re: problem using Ersek's RootSearch

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg80318] Re: problem using Ersek's RootSearch
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at sbcglobal.net>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 01:53:48 -0400 (EDT)

On 8/16/07 at 7:25 AM, pystab at hotmail.com (Tim Birks) wrote:

>However, as is often my experience with Mathematica, I now have a
>working method without really understanding why it works and why the
>previous attempt doesn't. What's wrong with defining a function
>using If? Is the reason obvious to those in the know, or is it hocus
>pocus?

I truly don't know the answer to this question. My hand waving
explanation is If really isn't a mathematical command. It is for
flow control. My guess is RootSearch will have difficulty with
any function using flow control as part of the function
definition. To really verify this guess I would need to review
the source code for RootSearch in detail.

I believe part of the motivation on Wolfram's part for creating
Piecewise was to avoid these type of issues.

But again, this is mostly speculation on my part.