Re: Mathematica 6

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg80343] Re: [mg80311] Mathematica 6
  • From: Curtis Osterhoudt <cfo at lanl.gov>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 05:34:18 -0400 (EDT)

On Thursday 16 August 2007 23:50:10 John wrote:
> Just installed Mathematica 6. It opens with a blank page called
> Untitled 1, but I can't get it to do anything.
>
> I typed in the following:
>
>  Mean{{1,2,3}], Variance[{1,2,3}]
>
> and a few other simple calculations, but nothing happens.
>
> John

   Just a few quick checks (perhaps silly, but sillier things have been known
to trip up computer users):

     * Though your Variance input is syntactically correct, the Mean input
needs to read Mean[{1,2,3}], with a square bracket instead of a curly
bracket. Mathematica returns no explicit error on my machine with the wrong
input, but does flag the cell with an orange cell marker, indicating an
error. Have you tried something as simple as 2-2 (on its own line)?

     * Are you pressing the Shift-Enter key combination to evaluate your
inputs (while the cursor is anywhere on the line where you input your
expressions)? Alternatively, if you have a numeric keypad, the Enter key
there (no Shift) should work.

    * If you use Linux, do you also use the Beryl or Compiz compositing
software? If so, sometimes Mathematica interacts strangely with it. In the
strange cases, you can see some input and output, but not other input or
output. If that's the case, either disable Beryl/Compiz or
export "XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1" before you run Mathematica.

Curtis Osterhoudt
cfo at remove_this.lanl.and_this.gov
PGP Key ID: 0x4DCA2A10