Missing information in Mathematica 6.0 Documentation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg80379] Missing information in Mathematica 6.0 Documentation
  • From: "Owen, HL \(Hywel\)" <h.l.owen at dl.ac.uk>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2007 06:04:32 -0400 (EDT)

In Mathematica 5.2 I knew I had to load a Graphics package to plot things like
Histograms. In Version 6.x, I assumed that a lot of these functions had
gone into the core, so didn't need to be loaded.

For example, I tried just running:
Histogram[Table[RandomReal[{1-0.05,1+0.05}],{100}]]

Nowhere in the documentation for 6.0 can I find that I now need this
command:
Needs["Histograms`"]

Luckily I found an example on the Demonstrations website.

Can the Mathematica Documentation team put this sort of stuff into the
documentation please? This stuff should be in the help files.

Thanks,

Hywel

-------
Dr. Hywel Owen, Senior Particle Accelerator Physicist
Cockcroft Institute, STFC Daresbury Laboratory
Daresbury Science and Innovation Campus
Warrington WA4 4AD, United Kingdom
Email: h.owen 'at' dl.ac.uk, Tel/Fax: +44 1925 603797/603192
-------
"Errors using inadequate data are much less than those using no data at
all."
-- Charles Babbage