Re: Missing information in Mathematica 6.0 Documentation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg80432] Re: [mg80379] Missing information in Mathematica 6.0 Documentation
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 04:47:05 -0400 (EDT)

Indeed, this is just one instance of a general oversight in the
Documentation Center -- neglecting to say explicitly that you must load
the package in which a function identified as being from a package is
defined.

Thus if you go to the Histogram reference page, at the top you'll see in
gray, "HISTOGRAMS PACKAGE SYMBOL", but nowhere on the page does it show
the expression to load the package.  And that gray legend at the top is
easy to miss.

Moreover, if you follow the "More about" link at the bottom of the page
to go to the Histograms Package page, you'll just find a list of the
packages two functions (along with some further "More about" links), but
still nothing about loading the package!

In Mathematica 5.2, the page for a package typically showed near its
start the expression needed to load it.  (In the case of function
Histogram, this was the Help Browser page on Graphics`Graphics`.)

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305