Normal@GeometricTransformation

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg80526] Normal@GeometricTransformation
  • From: mcmcclure at unca.edu
  • Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 02:02:01 -0400 (EDT)

GeometricTransformation is a very nice new feature of
V6 allowing one to specify transformations of graphics
primitives. GeometricTransformation[g, T] doesn't
immediately apply the transformation T to the
primitives g, but affects the rendering.  According to
the documentation:
"When possible, Normal will perform the
transformations explicitly."

An example when this is not possible might include a
transformation of a Text primitive, but why would the
following not work:
gt = GeometricTransformation[Point[{0, 0}],

This is about as simple an application as I can think
of.  I would expect Normal[gt] === Point[{1,1}].
Indeed, Graphics[gt] returns a point at {1,1}, but
Normal[gt] === gt.

Is the documentation ahead of the implementation?

Mark