version 6 Plot3D exporting results in HUGE files

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg80580] version 6 Plot3D exporting results in HUGE files
  • From: J Davis <texasAUtiger at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 03:13:07 -0400 (EDT)

I did the following in v6.0.1 (which I will refer to as v6 hereafter):
generated a surface using the Plot3D command, clicked on the resulting
surface graphic, then Save Selection As > EPS.

The resulting EPS file was over 4400 KB!

I compiled the same code in v5.2 using the exact same steps. The
resulting EPS file was 700 KB.

This is immaterial except now when I include the EPS files in a LaTeX
document and convert the dvi file to either PS or PDF, the pages with
v6 generated surfaces render EXTREMELY slowly while the v5.2 generated
surfaces render very quickly.

Has anyone noticed the same thing? This is very disappointing for
someone who wants to use Mathematica to generate high quality graphics
for inclusion in technical documents.

I am running Mathematica v6.0.1 on Windows XP on a Dell Latitude D800.

FYI, the same behavior occurs in v6 if I Save As>PDF instead of going
the EPS route.

Thanks for any insight you may have.

JD