Drawing tick labels without ticks

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg80569] Drawing tick labels without ticks
  • From: "D. Grady" <D.C.Grady at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 03:07:24 -0400 (EDT)

Can anyone suggest a simple method for keeping tick labels in a graph
without also drawing axes or the ticks themselves?  As an example,

ListPlot[{1, 2, 3, 4, 5}, AxesStyle -> Opacity[0], TicksStyle ->
Opacity[1]]

comes close to what I'm after, but doesn't quite get there.  I'd like
for nothing to appear in the plot except the data points and the tick
labels.

There doesn't seem to be a way to target specifically the tick labels
without also afftecting the tick marks or the axes.  LabelStyle will
target tick labels, but it has a lower precedence than both AxesStyle
and TickStyle, so if I use either of those options to turn off the
axes and ticks, it will also turn off labels.

It's my hope that there is a simple solution that I'm overlooking.  If
the only way around this is to go through a complicated process of
extracting tick labels from a dummy graphic and then pasting them in
to the actual graphic, I may as well use a different program.  Thanks
for your help!