Special characters in the axis label?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg80724] Special characters in the axis label?
  • From: "Krzysztof Lebecki" <lebecki-hates-SPAM at>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2007 02:32:54 -0400 (EDT)

Hi everybody,

I want to make a plot with cute axis labels. That is easy, if I stick with
simple function name, like M(i). Publication standards require that both "M"
and "i" should be italic here, so following code works well:

ListPlot[{1, 2, 3}, PlotStyle -> PointSize[0.04], AxesLabel ->
TraditionalForm /@ {i, M[i]}];

Now, for comparison, I want a plot of different function with a _prime_
sign: M'(i). As you can imagine, I have no idea what to do to get it.

BTW, I already solved a problem how to show a convolution of two functions,
(M*N)(i). I just use the star sign not from the keyboard but from the
BasicTypesetting palette. This solutions does not work in the "prime"
problem, however :(

Any suggestions?

TIA, Kris