Notebook programming: SlideShow: emulating bullet at-a-time visibility

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg83925] Notebook programming: SlideShow: emulating bullet at-a-time visibility
  • From: "W. Craig Carter" <ccarter at mit.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 04:32:50 -0500 (EST)

To those of you who have some experience with Notebook
programming:

I've been trying to write commands for keystrokes that
emulates the standard "add-a-bullet-to-current-display" that
are common in other presentation applications.  (I am giving
a talk about using mathematica to teach math to engineers.)

I have a IR remote device that I can use to send
programmable key-strokes to mathematica (like "->" to go to

To add a bullet to the display,
I've been trying two strategies without success.

1.  Recursive grouping of text cells, editing
../../KeyEventTranslations.tr with something such as:

KeyEvent["key",Modifiers->{..,..}],
FrontEndExecute[{
FrontEnd`SelectionMove[FrontEnd`InputNotebook[],Next,CellGroup],
FrontEnd`FrontEndToken[FrontEnd`InputNotebook[],"OpenClosedGroup"],
---and then SelectionMove to After and then Previous---
}
(* I can't get this to work, because I can't find a way to
move the selection to the next closed group *)

2. Set the Option->0 for all bullets to be revealed,
then (pseudocode) Select Next Text cell,
SetOption[??CurrentSelection??, Opacity->Automatic}
Here I fail, because I can only get the global options set,
and not that for the particular cell.

Can anyone think of a method to make these strategies work;
or, suggest one that has a better chance of succeeding?

As always with talks, this is a last-minute job. I have a
fall-back strategy which is to make separate pages with
increasing numbers of bullets. But, I'd rather not use this
because (well, I've sunk too much time into this method and
I know its lost time and should stop now, but, well you
know..), and I like to be able to "back-up" during
presentations and not "remove bullets one at a time"

Thanks, Craig