RE: Re: Re: Presentations Package Announcement

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg83974] RE: [mg83966] Re: [mg83920] Re: Presentations Package Announcement
  • From: "Hobbs, Sylvia (DPH)" <Sylvia.Hobbs at state.ma.us>
  • Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2007 02:36:55 -0500 (EST)

Yes Ditto - David is a master in dynamic graphics manipulation and
animation.  If you appreciate the mathematics of poetry, on David's
homepage are some quite exquisite translations of Rainer Maria Rilke's
and Charles Baudelaire's Cat Poems by Alice Parker.
http://home.comcast.net/~djmpark/

There's even a wee bit of a Rule 30 Cellular Automaton in his views on
Nation States?

Sylvia Hobbs

On Behalf

> Of DrMajorBob

> Sent: Wednesday, December 05, 2007 7:22 AM

> To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

> Subject: [mg83966] Re: [mg83920] Re: Presentations Package
Announcement

> Wolfram has plenty of experts on algebra, calculus, math, and
programming,

> but...

> I doubt they have many (or any) who can craft a meaningful diagram,
chart,

> or presentation like David Park can. He's a genious at that stuff, and
he

> has spent years fine-tuning tools to help.

> The examples alone are worth the price, but beyond that, David has

> implemented a MUCH simpler paradigm for combining diverse graphical

> elements. The results are native graphics objects in the end, but
David's

wrote:

> > After 10+ years of Mathematica being in existence,  why Wolfram
can't

> > seem to

> > include these capabilities directly in the program I do not
understand.

> > David Park wrote:

> >> I have now released the Presentations package for Mathematica
Version 6.

> >> Presentations is a follow-on package for DrawGraphics. It can be

> >> obtained at

> >> the Mathematica page of my web site below and costs $50. Previous

> >> purchasers

> >> of DrawGraphics have been sent email notices and may freely upgrade

> >> Presentations. If you are a purchaser who has changed your email

> >> address and

> >> have not received a notice please contact me with your current
address.

> >> Presentations is a package designed to facilitate the use of

> >> Mathematica in

> >> studying standard textbook material, in writing tutorials for
students,

> >> in

> >> research, and in using Mathematica in technical communications.

> >> Although it

> >> started as basically a graphics package it is now being enlarged to

> >> accommodate the many new features of Version 6 and to contain
generally

> >> useful features that might not specifically be graphics.

> >> A 'presentation' is my term for any display of data or information

> >> about a

> >> scientific or mathematical concept that goes beyond simple text and

> >> equations.

> >> Some of the features of Presentations are:

> >> 1) Rather than treating graphics as a collection of major plot
types

> >> that

> >> are difficult to combine, Presentations treats all graphics
including

> >> curves

> >> and surfaces as graphics primitives that may be easily combined in
one

> >> drawing statement.

> >> 2) Since graphical elements are all treated as primitives they can
be

> >> easily

> >> manipulated and transformed. Routines are provided for that and the
new

> >> geometric transformation routines of Version 6 have been cast in a
form

> >> convenient for this use.

> >> 3) There is a suite of routines for generating custom ticks and
grids,

> >> free

> >> standing scales, symbolic tick scales, and polar grids to replace
the

> >> usual

> >> Cartesian axes.

> >> 4) There are 3D arrows with arrowcones that can be drawn in a
number of

> >> styles. There are routines for marking angle arcs and right angle

> >> indicators

> >> on 2D geometrical diagrams.

> >> 5) For 2D graphics there are the LocatorDraw and LocatorLine
routines

> >> that

> >> allow the user to temporarily add locators to a graphic, position
them,

> >> and

> >> then copy the positions into a drawing statement.

> >> 6) There is provision for Text3D that allows true 3D text that
rotates

> >> with

> >> the image and hides behind surfaces.

> >> 7) There is a complete set of routines for complex function
graphics.

> >> These

> >> include primitives such as ComplexPoint, ComplexLine, ComplexText,

> >> ComplexCurve etc., that use complex arguments instead of coordinate

> >> pairs.

> >> In addition there are complex forms of maps, surface plots, contour

> >> plots,

> >> density plots and domain coloring plots that use a single complex

> >> iterator.

> >> There is a BranchArg routine that allows the user to set the branch

> >> line in

> >> the complex plane at any angle. There is a general multifunction
with

> >> memory

> >> capability that calculates all function values and orders them to
be

> >> continuous with a previous, close-by, evaluation. There is a
Riemann

> >> sphere

> >> routine and a StereographicMap routine. There are information panel

> >> primitives for providing numerical information along with dynamic

> >> graphics.

> >> 8) There is an IndefiniteSequences subpackage that allows the

> >> formatting of

> >> expressions that contain ellipses to indicate skipped terms or
factors

> >> in

> >> sums, products, tables, free standing sequences and infix
expressions.

> >> There

> >> is the ability to do some operations on the expressions and to
convert

> >> them

> >> to normal Mathematica expressions.

> >> 9) The Presentations package is a natural extension of standard

> >> Mathematica;

> >> it uses the regular Mathematica interface and in no way cuts the
user

> >> off

> >> from any regular Mathematica functions, including the regular
graphics

> >> functions.

> >> 10) Presentations is extensively documented with individual Help
pages

> >> for

> >> each function. In addition there are many extended examples showing

> >> practical cases of graphics and extended presentations. There are
three

> >> essays on 'Writing Notebooks', 'Writing Presentations' and 'Writing

> >> Packages' in which I try to give tips on avoiding traps and getting
the

> >> most

> >> productive use from Mathematica. One example, EllipseArea,
illustrates a

> >> style of writing notebooks that does everything actively and
generates

> >> embedded knowledge. There is a sample toy package that can be used
as a

> >> model for users who have never before written packages. There is an

> >> included

> >> optional style sheet that, to my taste, corrects many of the

> >> deficiencies of

> >> the WRI style sheets. Currently, the entire package contains 193
files

> >> and

> >> occupies some 3.5 MB (without the graphics being evaluated) - a
true