Re: Presentations Package Announcement

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg84047] Re: Presentations Package Announcement
  • From: sdw <nospam.warwick at jps.net>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 03:13:50 -0500 (EST)

point is,  graphics and presentation construction capability had been
considered a core strength of Mathematica for as long as I can remember,
and yet functions that many of us would consider fundamental are only found as
add-ons with varying levels of support and extra cost.  I believe
Wolfram should look more globally at what people are doing with
mathematical graphics and do a much better job of reducing the
requirements for folks to either a: reinvent the wheel or b: purchase
extra packages.    If that means that they license Mr. Park's code and
integrate the functionality directly, perhaps that is a good solution.

for an example of extraordinary graphics,  take a look at the following
presentation:

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/92

I think we all know that capability and usability are two different
things.  I often wonder how many hours people have to spend to get the
results they do when using Mathematica - what percentage coding, debugging, etc.
before getting meaningful results,  especially in larger projects that
include text and graphics, along with developing the calculation strategies.
I wish that the measure wolfram used to include new functions was more
usability based - designed to reduce time to construct common tasks,
reduce keystrokes,  etc.  As a interesting measure, I wish that when
people posted to the demomstrations project that they also included an
honest indication of the time spent to develop / release their code.
for a system as diverse and complex as Mathematica,  usability would seem to be
as big a shift in focus as was reliability and security was for
Microsoft a few years ago.

on another note,  I am also deeply appreciative of the level on online
support wolfram gives to this newsgroup.  The Mathematica organization is full
of very wise and gifted people.