Re: Have I found a bug?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg84244] Re: Have I found a bug?
- From: David Reiss <dbreiss at gmail.com>
- Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 15:37:25 -0500 (EST)
- References: <email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Remember (!) that indefinite integration is only unique up to an additive constant. Mathematica does not supply this additive constant but you can include it as a parameter. I hope that this helps... -David A WorkLife FrameWork E x t e n d i n g MATHEMATICA's Reach... http://scientificarts.com/worklife/ On Dec 14, 3:02 pm, Louise Hoffman <louise.hoff... at gmail.com> wrote: > > both are correct. > > > To check, one must get the original function by taking the derivative of > > > Log[- answer] > > > answer2= answer1 Sqrt[-1] = I answer1. > > > Log[-answer2] = Log[- I answer1]= Log[I]+ Log[-answer1] > > > The additional summand Log[I] is eliminated by the derivative. > > Is it possible to have Mathematica to give both answers? > > Thanks for the great reply =) > > Hugs, > Louise