Re: Comments in the front end

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg73400] Re: [mg73366] Comments in the front end
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 05:04:58 -0500 (EST)

You want to create text cells, title cells, and section cells along with
the default input cells (and the output cells that result from
evaluating input cells).   The (*  *) construction should be used
sparingly, in places in an input cell where you must point out some
particular thing that is better put right there instead of separate,
documenting text cells.

Put the cursor in a place where you see the vertical line, where
Mathematica is ready to create a new cell.

 From the Format menu select Style, and in the fly-out menu then select
the type you want -- Text, Section, etc.  Then begin typing.  What you
type will appear in a cell of that type.  It will NOT be an evaluatable
cell.

To insert a mathematical expression within such a text-style cell, you
want to insert an "in-line cell".  You may start it by typing Ctrl-(
then type the expression then end it with Ctrl-) to get back into the
plain text mode.

A few hours going through the docs will save you many, many hours of
being stumped by such questions as you asked.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305