Re: Re: Removing constant multiples from polynomials

If I understood the question correctly than the answers given by most
posters (which only removed the rational numeric factor from the
polynomial) all missed the point of the question, which was, I
believe,  how to obtain a monic polynomial in the given variables,
given an arbitrary polynomial. This is exactly what GroebnerBasis
does, e.g.

y x-2 x-y+2

y x-2 x-y+2

If you want GroebnerBasis to work also with symbolic coefficients we
need to use the option CefficientDomain->RationalFunctions

y x-2 x-y+2

The only other solutions that I have seen,  which work in all these
cases, rather than just for the specific example given by Chris, are
Adrianno Pescoletti's:

(#1/Coefficient[#1, x*y, 1] & )[a*(x-1)(y-2)]

(x-1) (y-2)

and mine:

Times @@ (Power @@@ DeleteCases[
        FactorList[a*(x - 1)(y - 2)], _?(FreeQ[#, x | y] &)])

(x-1) (y-2)

Andrzej Kozlowski