ToMatlab limitations

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg73549] ToMatlab limitations
  • From: "Will Robertson" <wspr81 at gmail.com>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 06:03:22 -0500 (EST)

[It is the policy of this newsgroup and mailing list to
 not discuss non-Mathematica systems, but since the ToMatlab
 package is provided on the Wolfram Research site, I am permitting
 it this time.  - Moderator]

Hello,

I've stumbled across the ToMatlab package to extract some long
equations derived in Mathematica to be used in an embedded controller
via Matlab. It appeared to be the answer to all my problems, but I'm
afraid it wasn't quite so handy as I initially thought.

Two questions to try and salvage the situation; sorry for my ignorance
-- I'm a very new Mathematica user.

I've got a bunch of subscripted variables and I want to transform them
into, well, "not subscripted" variables.
For example, Subscript[x_, y_] -> xy.
I'm embarrassed that even this simple task I can't complete. Obviously
the variable "xy" doesn't match the x_ and y_, so I need instead a
round-about way to get a concatentation of the two.

Secondly, I've also got a bunch of Greek variables. Is there an
automatic way (that is, without enumerating them all in a
ReplaceAll[]) to swap out the unicode character with their "name"?
E.g., {\[alpha] -> alpha} for all the greek letters and variant greek
letters?

(Oh how I wish Matlab would accept unicode characters for variable
names.)

Many thanks in advance,
Will Robertson