Re: Help with Reduce Command.
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg73687] Re: Help with Reduce Command.
- From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at gmail.com>
- Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 02:26:53 -0500 (EST)
- Organization: The Open University, Milton Keynes, UK
- References: <email@example.com>
nikki_74 wrote: > Hi, > > I am solving a set of multi-variate polynomial equations using REDUCE command. As I understand, it solves for all variables in the given equations. However, I want it to provide solutions for just one of the variables. > I know that the SOLVE command can do this. But I need to specify a Modulus value as well ( which can be done in REDUCE but not SOLVE). > > Is there a way around this? > > Thanks. > Hi, I am not sure to have fully understood what you are looking for, since the second argument of Reduce contains the list of variables for which you want a solution. (it is also useful for distinguishing variables from constant parameters.) "Reduce[expr, vars] reduces the statement expr by solving equations or inequalities for vars and eliminating quantifiers. " HTH, Jean-Marc