Re: Help with Reduce Command.

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg73687] Re: Help with Reduce Command.
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 02:26:53 -0500 (EST)

nikki_74 wrote:
> Hi,
> I am solving a set of multi-variate polynomial equations using REDUCE command. As I understand, it solves for all variables in the given equations. However, I want it to provide solutions for just one of the variables.
> I know that the SOLVE command can do this. But I need to specify a Modulus value as well ( which can be done in REDUCE but not SOLVE).
> Is there a way around this?
> Thanks.

I am not sure to have fully understood what you are looking for, since
the second argument of Reduce contains the list of variables for which
you want a solution. (it is also useful for distinguishing variables
from constant parameters.)

"Reduce[expr, vars] reduces the statement expr by solving equations or
inequalities for vars and eliminating quantifiers. "