Re: Help with Reduce Command.

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg73695] Re: [mg73640] Help with Reduce Command.
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 02:31:15 -0500 (EST)
On 23 Feb 2007, at 10:45, nikki_74 wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am solving a set of multi-variate polynomial equations using
> REDUCE command. As I understand, it solves for all variables in the
> given equations. However, I want it to provide solutions for just
> one of the variables.
> I know that the SOLVE command can do this. But I need to specify a
> Modulus value as well ( which can be done in REDUCE but not SOLVE).
>
> Is there a way around this?
>
> Thanks.

Your assertion about Solve dis not true. You can Solve equations
modulo a number as follows:

Solve[{x^2 + y^2 == 3, x^2 - y == 1, Modulus == 5},
   {x, y}, Mode -> Modular]

{{Modulus -> 5, y -> 3, x -> 2}, {Modulus -> 5, y -> 3,
    x -> 3}}

However, whether you can get  a satisfactory "solution for one
variable" in modular mode depends on your specific system of
equations, since it is not always clear what is meant by such a
"solution".

Andrzej Kozlowski