Re: how to plot a 2-parametric output from Solve with Plot3D

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg72529] Re: [mg72518] how to plot a 2-parametric output from Solve with Plot3D
  • From: "Josef Otta" <josef.otta at gmail.com>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 01:50:06 -0500 (EST)

Hi Ted,

Try this approach:

eqns = {b x == 2 y^2 + x , y == 2 x /a};
sol = {x, y} /. Solve[eqns, {x, y}];

now you have solution in list "sol" as functions.
You can plot for example second solution for x as:

(Plot3D[#, {a, -1, 1}, {b, -1, 1}] &)@sol[[2, 1]];

If you want to define output of Solve as new function of variables a,b  you
can use this:

solfce[c_, d_] := (sol /. {a -> c, b -> d})

In[69]=
solfce[1, 2]
Out[69]=
{{0, 0}, {1/8, 1/4}}