speed of multiplying polynomials

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg72554] speed of multiplying polynomials
  • From: dmharvey at math.harvard.edu
  • Date: Sat, 6 Jan 2007 23:39:09 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how fast mathematica can multiply polynomials
with integer coefficients. I don't know mathematica well at all, but I
had a friend write me a mathematica program to test this. It look like
on a regular desktop machine it can multiply e.g. degree 1000
polynomials with coefficients in the range 0 <= x <= 1000 in about 1.3
seconds.

This is ludicrously slow compared to some other computer algebra
systems, which can do this multiplication in about 0.0003
seconds. I can't believe mathematica is in the order of 10000 times
slower for this simple task. I think perhaps we are doing something
wrong. Can anyone suggest a way of coaxing mathematica into doing this
kind of arithmetic at a comparable pace?

Many thanks

David