MathGroup Archive 2007

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Re: question on Plot and Show plus Axis Labels:

• To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg72566] Re: question on Plot and Show plus Axis Labels:
  • Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 07:41:28 -0500 (EST)

Hello David

Thanks for showing interest in my problem and for posting reply. Please see the below sample code. This sample is not related to my study, this is just to illustrate.

\!\(\(x = Table[i, {i, 1, 15, 1}];\)\[IndentingNewLine]
  \(v = Table[Sin[\(Ï?\/15\) x[\([i]\)]], {i, 1, 15, 1}];\)\[IndentingNewLine]
  \(y[j_] := Cos[Ï?\/15\ x[\([j]\)]];\)\[IndentingNewLine]
  \(y1 = Table[y[j], {j, 1, 15, 1}];\)\[IndentingNewLine]
  \(y2 = Table[v[\([j]\)], {j, 1, 15, 1}];\)\[IndentingNewLine]
  p1 = ListPlot[Thread[y1, x], PlotJoined -> True]\[IndentingNewLine]
  p2 = ListPlot[Thread[y2, x], PlotJoined -> True]\[IndentingNewLine]
  Show[p1, p2]\) 

I could not use Plot for plotting a list of values of y1 and y2 for the x values. I tried using the below Plot command and got error,

p1=Plot[y1,{x,1,15}]

that y1 is not a machine readable value at x = 1.0000000+
meaning that Plot tries to do a smooth fit between these intervals. In my case, x value increments by integer value, say unit increase. For that discrete sets of x values, I have respective y values and for using ListPlot, I have to thread these x and y values. Thats why I am using Thread.

If you can tell me how to use Plot function for plotting the values above, that will be great.

Or please suggest otherways where I have to use the combinations of ListPlot, Show, and others to produce a multi-plot with a axes label rotated (y axis), use Plot Legends to work with Show (or an alternate to Plot Legend since it doesnt work with Show), and coloring them differently. I figured out how to color them differently - using RBCColor option. But still got stuck with the Legends and the rotate labels options. 

RotateLabel works fine with Frames. If I use Frames, will that solve other problems too. I am trying, but just in case, if you know the answer, please hint me. Thanks,

Gopinath Venkatesan
Graduate Student
University of Oklahoma

• Prev by Date: Re: Where can I get MathGL3D Version 3.0 for windows?
  • Next by Date: Re: question on Plot and Show plus Axis Labels:
  • Previous by thread: Re: question on Plot and Show plus Axis Labels:
  • Next by thread: Re: question on Plot and Show plus Axis Labels: