Re: from range restriction to domain restriction

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg72617] Re: from range restriction to domain restriction
  • From: "dimitris" <dimmechan at yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 05:53:46 -0500 (EST)

Why the following commands give different output?

Reduce[ComplexExpand[Im[Sqrt[x]]] == 0, x]
x > 0

and

Reduce[ComplexExpand[Im[Sqrt[x]]] == 0]
x == 0 || (Re[x] > 0 && Im[x] == 0)

The following behaviour (for example) looks more normal to me

Reduce[(x + 1)*(4*x^2 + 2) == 0, Reals]
Reduce[(x + 1)*(4*x^2 + 2) == 0, x, Reals]
x == -1
x == -1

Regards
Dimitris