Re: Mathematica newbie

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg72625] Re: Mathematica newbie
  • From: Jean-Marc Gulliet <jeanmarc.gulliet at>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 06:25:54 -0500 (EST)

JP Azevedo wrote:
> Hello there,
> I'm new to Mathematica and I'm trying to run a notebook which uses a package
> called  Merger.m
> Although this notebook has worked fine a few days ago, today it started to
> give me an error message saying:
> <<Merger`Merger`
> Get::noopen: Cannot open Merger`Merger`
> $Failed
> Both files can be downloaded from the page:
> Any help to solve this problem will be much appreciated.
> Cheers,
> JP

Hi JP,

A package, in this case the file called Merger.m, must be located in a
directory within a path expected by Mathematica.

$Version (* Just for info *)

5.2 for Microsoft Windows (June 20, 2005)

Evaluate the following expression

C:\Documents and Settings\Jean-Marc\Application Data\Mathematica

Now, with whatever method is available from your operating system, go to
the above directory. You should see a directory called "Applications".
Within it, create a new directory called "Merger", then copy the file
Merger.m into it.

In Mathematica again, evaluate the following expressions

--> "This package defines functions  used to simulate mergers in
differentiated and homogenous product industries. Available functions...
<bla bla bla>"

At any rates, the following section of the online help is a must read: